The most visible signs of facial aging are typically first noticed around the eyes, the most focal point when we relate to one another. “Drooping eyelids” and “bags under the eyes” are common aging complaints that cause a person to look tired, sad, angry or older than they really are. This can affect a person’s self-image and attitude and also how others perceive them. For some individuals, drooping upper eyelids may partially obstruct vision. Dr. Parva—our board-certified plastic surgeon—will be happy to assist you with a complete evaluation to determine your options. Eyelid surgery is a popular facial rejuvenation procedure that can help restore the alert, refreshed and youthful appearance of the eyes of years gone by.
- What is Eyelid Surgery?
- Eyelid Surgery Candidates
- Eyelid Surgery Procedure
- Eyelid Surgery Recovery
- Eyelid Surgery Results
- Eyelid Surgery Cost
What is Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)?
Eyelid surgery addresses two components that add to the aged appearance:
- Excess, loose skin of the upper and lower eyelids
- Fat that herniates “bulges” out and contributes to the puffiness of the eyelids.
The upper and lower eyelids are evaluated together, yet they must be considered as separate units in deciding what procedures are best for each individual situation. Additionally, it is critical to consider the position of the brow. For women, the eye brows generally arc above the boney ridge above the eye. Men tolerate a slightly lower position with the eye brow at the boney ridge. If there has been significant descent of the brow, simply removing eyelid skin will not be sufficient to improve the appearance. A brow lift in conjunction with eyelid surgery may provide the optimal results. If the eye brow is at a good position, then the upper eyelids alone can be reduced, or lifted. With a low brow, then a brow lift should be considered.
When considering the lower eyelids, fat is often a problem and is seen as “bulging,” or fat pads that are seen below the eye. Both skin and fat should be reduced in these situations.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Eyelid Surgery?
- Someone with loose skin of the upper eyelid drooping over the lids
- Excess skin and tiny wrinkles in the lower eyelid
- Persistent bags and dark circles under the eyes even when well rested
- Partially obstructed vision, especially when gazing upward
- Family history of eyelid surgery to treat excess skin
- A healthy individual
- Realistic goals and expectations
What Does the Eyelid (Blepharoplasty) Procedure Involve?
Pre-operative planning will determine the surgical plan. If the brow position is low, then a brow lift is planned. The upper eyelids are marked in the pre-operative holding area, as is the lower eyelids as indicated. Dr. Parva takes great care to mark a conservative skin removal. The consequences of removing too much skin are significant if the eyes cannot close completely.
When the skin is incised and removed, any excess fat is also carefully reduced. The lower eyelids generally have more fat protrusion that must be thinned. The upper eyelids are then closed with a single running suture under the skin. For the lower eyelids, individual sutures are placed. Corneal protectors are shields placed over the cornea during surgery that protect the eye from scratches and damage. At the completion of the surgery, the corneal protectors are removed and the head is elevated and cool sponges are placed over the closed eyes.
What Can I Expect in My Eyelid Surgery Recovery?
- Care is taken to avoid any strenuous activity or lifting for the first 2 weeks.
- Limit eye strain, such as reading, computer work and TV for the first 1 to 2 weeks.
- Use eye ointment prescribed by Dr. Parva for 1 to 2 weeks to prevent potential dryness while sleeping.
- Bruising may take 2 or more weeks to resolve. Head elevation and massage are helpful.
- The head must be kept elevated for 1 to 2 weeks.
- Cool compresses, or frozen bags of peas, are effective in reducing swelling and pain.
When Will I See My Eyelid Surgery Results?
Loss of the excess skin and the “bags” under the eyes is seen immediately.
Two to 3 months before long term results are seen.
Enjoy the direct eye-to-eye contact as people focus on your vibrant, beautiful eyes.
“I know that true beauty is measured by the heart but thank you so much for making me feel “pretty” on the outside.”
How Much Does Eyelid Surgery Cost?
The cost of eyelid surgery will vary based on the unique details of each patient’s surgical plan, such as the complexity of the procedure and their comprehensive care. Our team will provide you with a cost estimate after your consultation with Dr. Parva to understand what to expect.
Schedule Your Eyelid Surgery Consultation
Please contact Parva Plastic Surgery for your eyelid surgery consultation with Dr. Parva today.