An inward pulling of the nipple can cause loss of projection and be distressing to some women. Often this is a condition that is noted during breast development and persists into adulthood. Many women can still breast feed so it may not be a functional problem for them. However, some women may seek correction for aesthetic reasons.
What is Correction of Inverted Nipples?
The cause of the nipple inversion is a tethering of the bands and ducts that pass from the deeper breast tissues to the nipple. As they shorten, they cause an inward pulling of the nipple.
Correction involves release of the tight bands to allow the normal projection of the nipple.
Who is a Good Candidate?
- Women with one or both nipples inverted
- A woman who understands the inability to breast feed after the corrective surgery and does not plan to do so
- A desire to balance the appearance of both nipples if one is inverted
- Healthy individual
- Realistic goals and expectations
The Inverted Nipple Correction Procedure:
Dr. Behzad Parva—our board-certified plastic surgeon—performs the inverted nipple correction under local anesthesia in the surgical suite at our office in Leesburg, Virginia. When you are comfortable and well anesthetized, a small incision is made at the base of the nipple. This small incision is all that is required to release the tight bands that are tethered to the nipple from the deeper elements of the breast. Once the release is complete, several sutures are placed to bring together the deeper tissues under the nipple and to maintain the projected nipple. A protective dressing is placed around the nipple to prevent compression of the nipple.
Recovery and Healing:
- Seven to 10 days for initial recovery
- Protective care to avoid compression of the nipple for 2-4 weeks
- Results are long lasting
- Do not plan to breast feed after corrective surgery because of the release of the ducts and tight bands which will prevent normal lactation.
“This comes with heartfelt thanks for being the wonderful human being and doctor that you are.”
Schedule Your Inverted Nipple Correction Consultation
If you are interested in inverted nipple correction, please contact Parva Plastic Surgery to schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Parva.