Most women experience some form of breast asymmetry (breasts which are different sizes or shapes) although generally there is only a small discrepancy. The reasons for breast asymmetry are aging, pregnancy and nursing and fluctuations in weight. Still more significant asymmetries may be manifestations of underlying developmental anomalies. If you are affected with breast asymmetry, it can be embarrassing on a personal level, cause psychological stress and make it very difficult to find a bra and clothing that fit properly. It is very important to find out the reason for the asymmetry and then take the appropriate steps to correct the imbalance through breast asymmetry surgery.
- What is Breast Asymmetry Correction?
- Breast Asymmetry Correction Candidates
- Breast Asymmetry Correction Procedure
- Breast Asymmetry Correction Recovery
- Breast Asymmetry Correction Results
What is Breast Asymmetry Correction?
Depending on the degree and cause of the asymmetry, treatment may involve procedures to reshape and position the breasts or the use of implants. The key is to determine the cause of the asymmetry, the degree of difference between the 2 breasts and thoughtful planning to design the specific procedure, or combination of procedures, to achieve better symmetry.
Who is a Good Candidate?
- Someone with breast asymmetries of size, position or shape
- Patients with specific rib cage abnormalities or scoliosis may also have breast asymmetry that can be addressed through corrective surgery
- Healthy individual
- Realistic goals and expectations
The Breast Asymmetry Correction Procedure:
Planning will set the stage for the appropriate procedure or combination of procedures necessary. Therefore the procedures can vary. After appropriate pre-operative planning, Dr. Behzad Parva makes the skin markings in the pre-operative holding area based on the planned procedure(s). These procedures may involve placement of different size breast implants, performing a breast lift or a breast reduction. More significant differences may require a staged approach with more than one operation. Surgery times may vary from 1 hour to 4 hours. Depending on the extent of surgery performed, a drain may be placed behind the breast to reduce potential fluid build-up during the recovery period. The surgery may be performed with an overnight stay at the hospital, or more often as an outpatient. A supportive bra is placed before leaving the operating room.
Recovery and Healing:
- Initial healing takes 5 to 10 days
- Generally, recovery time is less than one week and many women who work outside the home will return to work within several days.
- You will be encouraged to use scar reduction measures, such as silicone gel and massage of the scars.
- You will be encouraged to wear a supportive bra and avoid high impact activities for 3 to 4 week.
Noticeable results are seen immediately but it will take several months for swelling to settle and for the long term results to be evident.
Breast asymmetry correction can be quite complex and may require secondary surgical procedures for desired results to be achieved.
“Dr. Parva and Staff,
I am thrilled with the results and wish I would have done this years ago. I am in awe as to the new me thanks to your talents in the OR, professional care & compassion as a doctor. I can’t tell you enough as to how pleased I am.”
Schedule Your Breast Asymmetry Correction Consultation
If you are interested in breast asymmetry correction, please contact Parva Plastic Surgery today to schedule a complimentary cosmetic consultation today.